Case of deaf and dumb depressed woman
Dr Raksha Thakkar presents the case of deaf and dumb woman with anxiety accompanied with great suspiciousness.
Curing a person often means not only relieve them of symptoms, but returning and sometimes for the first time establishing normal relationships in the family.
FAMILY STATUS – interpersonal relationship – Female age 35 years, deaf and dumb, husband too deaf and dumb; kids can hear and speak, in-laws stays separate.
History elicited through the kids, by their nonverbal communication amongst themselves.
CASE – A case of depression, suffering from cough, dry cough worse at night, hacking, constant, aggravated from lying down, aggravated at night, relieved by sitting up. Chilly patient, hot water bath in all seasons, desires covering.
Stays with husband and two sons. Husband is also deaf and dumb.
The history of the patient: conflict with mother in-law / in-laws stays separately with husband and the kids; whenever he goes to in-laws place, she feels husband and in-laws both are against her and plotting conspiracy against her. Earlier she was suffering from an acute episode of cough, told the kid: “I’ll go and get medicine for myself from the chemist or a physician.” The kid told: “I’ll go get it to this”, but she said: “No! What if you add something in it so that I may die?”, and was about to raise hands on the kid but was told to calm down and she was suggested not do so.
The next day when kids were at school and husband was at work, she left for station without informing the kids and when kids back from school she said had been to the station to catch train for Gujarat to go to mom’s place but returned and couldn’t muster the courage to die on the tracks.
ANALYSIS and EVALUATION – Patient is suspicious about her feels that in the name of medicine they will add poison so that she dies and they are threatening her.
As she deaf and dumb would vent out her frustration by banging her head against the wall she is taking undue benefit / advantage of the relationship and harasses others not even sparing the kids.
- Seeks attention
- CONCERN – fear threat to her life
- ADAPTATION – staying away from in-laws or receiving anything lest it’s poison – SUSPICIOUS..! being CAUTIOUS!!!
- REACTION – THREATENING to end if in-laws affecting her in any way; she must muster the courage to do.
- She is thinking she is surrounded by enemies as she having conflicts with in-laws and feels husband and in-laws plotting against her.
REPERTORY USED: RADAR SYNTESIS
RUBRICS TAKEN, AS FOLLOWS:
MIND – ABUSIVE
MIND – DELUSION INJURY BEING INJURED
MIND – DELUSION POISONED HE AS BEEN
MIND – FEAR BETRAYED OF BEING
MIND FEAR – ENEMIES OF
MIND FEAR – MEDICINE – POISON BEING
MIND – FORSAKEN FEELING
MIND – SUSPICIOUS
COUGH – NIGHT
REMEDY GIVEN – HYOSCYAMUS NIGER 1M single dose
PATIENT ALL FIT AND FINE
HAVING BATH DAILY
RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE PATIENT AND THE IN-LAWS IMPROVES, NO RIFT IN THE RELATIONSHIP, THE BONDING GREW STRONGER
ALL FUNCTIONING SMOOTHLY
JOURNEY OF HYOSCYAMUS
He reproaches others, and complains of injustice that he imagines has been done to him.
They babble out almost everything a sensible person would have kept silence about all his life. (Hahnemann)
How to identify in your clinic
- Hyoscyamus niger uses these words frequently: “harm”, “injury”, “complaining tone”, “doubt”, “I’m good”, “business”, “profit, loss”
- Gives respect to the doctor (addresses & wishing doctors with “sir, doctor saab, hi, hello, good morning, afternoon, night“ etc.).
- Reverence for those around him (reverence = respect)
- Children’s are naughty
- Naked want to be (naked not only through undressing it’s also through talking or exposing secret things about himself too)
- Antics play (doing things to attract attention)
- Gestures makes lively (eg. “see sir I’m having pain when I’m sitting like this“, he will move from the chair and depicts you the way he sit and the reaction during pain)
- Meddlesome (poking one’s nose in others business and not minding self)
- “If parents are talking with the doctor, child will continuously do something to get her mother’s attention or he will disturb them in between.”
- Inciting to accomplish his business or work.
- Always confirms nothing harm in taking these medicine (its’ harmless right?)
- Not in favour of undergoing routine test and investigations as it may bring more anxiety about the disease.
- Sometime talks as if on debate with the doctor.
CONCERN / NEED – WHY?
- Fear of injury (injury = harm in anyway)
- Fear betrayed of being
- Fear medicine has harmed, poisoned
- Thinks that he is being injured by his surroundings (surrounding means people around him: family, friends, colleague etc. or nonliving things like atmosphere, dust, pollutions, food etc.)
- Thinks wife is faithless (wife = whom he believed much, doctor, relative, friend, family etc.)
- Bed remain in desire to be (bed = want to be in comfortable position)
- This time will not take risk
- Jealousy between siblings, when newborn gets all the attention.
EXCITING CAUSE (causative/triggering factor)
- After being abused
- Business failure (previously spent lots of money over disease but disappointed with result and doctor too, what results in doubt and fear towards doctor & medicine)
- Disappointed in love
AS A PERSON:
- Dirty children
- Naive but intelligent
About the author:
BHMS CCAH (BOMBAY)
Practices since 16 years, coordinator She and her trust for women empowerment, trustee T.J. education society and Meena Maganlal Thakkar charitable trust conducts various camps seminars, shares successful cases to students through sessions in Thane Mumbai, each year during Hahnemannian day celebrations.
Edited by Gordana Jujić